> On Nov 3, 2017, at 10:28 PM, Aris Merchant
> <thoughtsoflifeandligh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:52 PM Aris Merchant
> <thoughtsoflifeandligh...@gmail.com
> <mailto:thoughtsoflifeandligh...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 3, 2017 at 5:11 PM Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk
> <mailto:ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk>> wrote:
> On Sat, 2017-11-04 at 10:39 +1100, VJ Rada wrote:
> > It's already ILLEGAL to not pay it, and it certainly shouldn't be
> > made IMPOSSIBLE to bid more than you have, because you could gain
> > money later.
>
> In my opinion, bidding on an auction should actually require paying the
> Shinies, but you should get them back if you don't win.
>
> --
> ais523
>
> Finally an excuse to suggest accounts (they're on the Massive Reform Plan).
> An account would be a rule defined portion of an entities assets, which may
> be spent only as authorized by the enacting rule. Here we could either
> transfer the assets to a spesific account of Agora (to ensure that they
> aren't spent) or to a special account of the player bidding. Actually, we
> could do that with the items being auctioned too, which would simplify things
> and ensure that they stay up for auction. You can think of accounts being
> basically like Agoran institutions, except that the owner technically still
> has ownership, just not the power to spend the asset.
>
> -Aris
> That was horribly worded, but what do people think of my basic idea?
>
> -Aris

If I follow, it sounds like the basic idea is a hybrid of implied contracts and
the ability to create a binding preauthorization transaction by creating an
account for the associated assets?

If so, it’s interesting. It’s lighter than escrow, and if it platonically makes
transactions involving those assets impossible, it might be interesting.
Figuring out how to determine which pile of a fungible asset are inside of or
not inside of an account might be challenging - which kind of reminds me of the
legal distinctions between depositing a sealed bag or chest of coins and
depositing loose coins in old UK law.

-o