On Sun, 19 Nov 2017, Aris Merchant wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 19, 2017 at 2:20 PM Kerim Aydin <ke...@u.washington.edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, VJ Rada wrote:
> > > I support: I didn't pay for the Estate.
> > >
> > > Pledges are great right now! I love them. The "explicit restatement" rule
> > > should be removed though.
> >
> > I agree I prefer a lightweight, straightforward, relatively easy-to-track
> > (and free!) option instead of getting bogged down with the whole Contract
> > machinery.
>

> You're suggesting that we keep the system in which punishment is decided
> purely democratically, rather than based off of having done anything wrong?
> Right now our pledge system is based on bills of attainder (or more
> correctly bills of pains and penalties), rather than justice.

Well *someone* said they were working to reform the whole justice system,
so I'd rather fix this during that :) :).

But yes, I voted Against the current method of penalizing pledge-breakers,
and I'd vote to change it back to something like it was.  But I wouldn't
do that by tying it to the full weight of contracts as they exist now.

-G.