On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 9:06 PM Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, 2018-09-30 at 21:59 -0600, Reuben Staley wrote:
> > One criticism of Agoran minigames is that it's too much like a board
> > game where you're trying to let players join in halfway through a game
> > and still have an equal standing. I think that no matter what specific
> > assets we decided on, that problem would still remain. Agoran
> > Civilization would be fun but still impractical for rejoining players.
> >
> > But what if the minigame was built to be faster-paced and be over in
> > about a month.
>
> What about this: we have repeated instances of a subgame each lasting a
> week or so, and some easy way to amend the rules of the subgame (easier
> than a proposal; perhaps without-3-objections) but the amendments only
> apply for the /next/ subgame. Presumably the prizes for the subgame
> would be things like points (working towards victory), proposal pends,
> expunges, and this sort of thing, so that not everyone would be working
> towards the same goal each round and the subgame was somewhat dynamic.
> We can start simple and make it more complex as the optimal strategy
> becomes obvious.
>
> Ideally it should be competitive in the sense that if everyone is
> aiming for the same goal, they'll get in each others' way.

Politics seemed to do a decent job of encouraging players to expend
resources relatively quickly. It also had a sort of gradual map reset
built in through the stress mechanic. It was cool, you should read it
[1].

I don't think that there's any way of making the map mechanics work
like this. They were specifically written to encourage long term
buildup.

[1]
https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-business/2017-November/036909.html

-Aris