What if we approach this from the other direction—i.e., what kind of a thing
could this “Protocol” action possibly be?

If this Protocol action isn’t somehow authorized (directly or indirectly) by
the Rules, then it cannot be used to perform regulated actions and so there’s
no reason for us to care.

No Rule creates a Protocol action that can be invoked in this way.

A proposal cannot continue to have effect after it is adopted, so a proposal
can’t have created this Protocol action.

Maybe this Protocol is defined in a contract, but it’s not clear why anyone who
isn’t a party to that contract should care. As per a recent judgement,
contracts can’t bind non-parties.

Where does that leave us?

What kind of a thing could this Protocol even be?