The difference though is that only a Herald CAN publish a Herald's report
and SHALL do so. When "vacant" is the Herald (and I admit that "vacant" is
the Herald and is liable, but this is because the Officeholder switch
specifically allows vacant as an officeholder), no provision of the rules
states something like "any player CAN deputise for the Herald, and the
Herald SHALL be deputised for". In that case, no text even arguably
provides that the failure to deputise imposes criminal liability. Only the
Herald, vacant, is responsible.

Unlike that two-step procedure, this is a one-step procedure in which "any
player" CAN perform the ritual. Only the Herald, vacant, CAN and SHALL
publish that report. So a clear and principled distinction exists.