On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 6:11 PM Kerim Aydin <ke...@uw.edu> wrote:
> Hi omd,
>
> When a Motion to Reconsider is filed, I drop the old arguments
> entirely from the case log, so the old judgement isn't mistaken for
> precedent (there's no objective way of knowing whether motion-filers
> are objecting to minor portions, or the whole thing, and keeping both
> gets quite confusing).  Your revised judgement below seems to depend
> on some of that long original judgement though (references to CFJ 3425
> eg.) and I'd hate the detailed work to get lost - are there parts that
> should be kept?

Hmm... I guess you could keep everything in the original before "I'll
honor the precedent here."

Though I'll venture that, as a player, I think I'd prefer a policy of
letting the case log serve as a full historical record, rather than
dropping information even if it's outdated.  If you're worried about
judgements being mistaken for precedent, why not just add a note at
the top saying that the judgement was reconsidered/overruled/etc.?