"A player who owns a Pilotable Spaceship in the same Sector as one

      of eir opponents' Pilotable Spaceships CAN, by announcement,
      initiate a Space Battle between the two Spaceships. These two
      players are the "combatants" of the Space Battle, and the two
      Spaceships are then "engaging" in the Space Battle until it is
      resolved."

This text shows that only two spaceships can be engaging in a space
battle, as does the resolving text.