On 1/19/2020 2:57 PM, Alexis Hunt via agora-discussion wrote:
> The best way is to look at past examples.
>
> On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 at 17:43, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion <
> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
>> What exactly are the expectations for theses? It's not very well
>> spelled out in the relevant rule (probably something we should fix).
>> I'm working on a thesis, on and off, and I want to make sure I'm doing
>> it right.
>>
>> -Aris

Well strictly speaking it's whatever people will support :)

When we last had a specific criteria (a loong time ago) it looked like this
(from 2003):

      The Degree of Associate of Nomic requires a Thesis of at least
      150 words.  A Candidate who already holds an AN Degree receives
      a credit of 100 words towards the Thesis requirement for any
      higher Degree, unless the Candidate also holds a BN Degree.

      The Degree of Bachelor of Nomic requires a Thesis of at least
      500 words.  A Candidate who already holds an BN Degree receives
      a credit of 250 words towards the Thesis requirement for any
      higher Degree.

      The Degree of Doctor of Nomic History requires a Thesis of at
      least 750 words and containing a narrative covering significant
      events which have occurred in Agora within the eight weeks prior
      to the publication of the Thesis.

      The Degree of Master of Nomic requires a Thesis of at least 750
      words.

      The Degree of Doctor of Nomic Philosophy requires a Thesis of at
      least 1000 words, and that the candidate has also published an
      additional creative work authored by emself whose topic or theme
      is related to Agora or Nomic in general.

As you can imagine, "150 words" is so short as to be fairly trivial for a
degree, and I think we've kept that spirit going in that we'd give even very
brief thought pieces an Associates Degree.  Beyond that it's just been up to
general discussion.  I think the only thing we agreed to recently was that a
"doctorate" level should meet the old criterion above of "has also published
an additional creative [Nomic-related] work".