On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 10:12 PM Gaelan Steele via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> Speaking of which, last I checked, the link (at the top of the mailman
> archive) to download the full archive is broken.

Fixed.  Seems like a Mailman bug introduced in this commit [1], which
nobody has noticed in over a year... I guess I should report it.

But a long time ago I set up an alternate way to download the
archives, directly through the web server so it supports range
requests etc.:

https://agora:no...@mailman.agoranomic.org/archives/

Each mbox file is append-only, so you can use the "continue download"
option of your favorite tool to sync without having to redownload the
whole thing:

 wget -c https://agora:no...@mailman.agoranomic.org/archives/agora-business.mbox

The authentication was added out of concern for ancient etiquette
rules about exposing email addresses to web scrapers.  Almost
certainly pointless these days.  Especially, in our case, considering
that Registrar's report is published on the web, and includes all
players' email addresses, obfuscated only by replacing "@" with " at
", which I doubt stops any scrapers (but who knows).

I suppose I could mirror the archives on GitHub, which would be less
idiosyncratic and more resilient to me getting hit by a bus.  That
would, however, imply giving up on obfuscating email addresses, unless
I made the repo private (which defeats the purpose of resilience) or
obfuscated the repo contents somehow (which defeats the purpose of
avoiding idiosyncracy).  Thoughts?

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/mailman-checkins@python.org/msg09051.html