On Thu, 2020-02-13 at 12:40 +0100, sukil via agora-discussion wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was reading the rules before registering and came across something
> I didn't understand, I hope you guys can clarify this for me (I was
> going to propose some change for the first part, but then I might be
> the only one who doesn't understand this).
>
> First, we have objections, consent and support defined in terms of a
> switch (called n),  and the negation of them (without objection,
> consent or support) is expressed as n=1. Why is this so? Wouldn't it
> be way more intuitive that this was defined as n=0? Is it because in
> the ruleset the natural numbers are defined (not explicitly if so, I
> must add) as >0 rather than >=0? Also, what happens when n=2 in these
> cases?

It's basically because it's trying to define the most useful case as
shorthand. Without 1 Objection is very common: it means that everyone
has to agree (or at least, nobody can actively disagree) for something
to happen, so it's used to handle uncontroversial situations where
everyone is unanimous. Without 0 Objections would not be a usable
mechanism, because there's always at least 0 objections.

> And lastly, are all actions "without objections" bound to have no
> objections before taking them? (See cleanliness, for example).

For a "without 1 objection" action (typically abbreviated to "without
objection"), if anyone objected to the intent, then the action could
not be performed.

For an action with an easier requirement, such as "without 3
objections", there could be up to 2 objections to an intent without
making the action impossible to perform.

--
ais523