On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 at 21:32, Jason Cobb via agora-business
<agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On 2/18/20 3:30 PM, AIS523--- via agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Tue, 2020-02-18 at 15:24 -0500, Jason Cobb via agora-business wrote:
> >> I submit the following proposal:
> >>
> >> Title: De-secure Black Ribbons
> >>
> >> Author: Jason
> >>
> >> Co-authors:
> >>
> >> AI: 3.0
> >>

> >> {
> >>
> >> Amend Rule 2438 (Ribbons) by replacing the text "This rule does not
> >> specify any methods of obtaining Black Ribbons." with the text "An
> >> Instrument CAN, as part of its effect, award a person a Black
> >> Ribbon."
> >>
> >> }
> > I'm not sure that would be sufficient to actually unsecure them? The
> > text is written as though the instrument in question does the awarding
> > of the ribbon, after all.
> >
> > Perhaps you need black ribbons to be earned as a consequence of some
> > particular event that's otherwise undefined (and that is not secured).
> >

> R1688 says:
>
> >       A Rule that makes a change, action, or value secured (hereafter
> >       the securing Rule) thereby makes it IMPOSSIBLE to perform that
> >       change or action, or to set or modify that value, except as
> >       allowed by an Instrument with Power greater than or equal to the
> >       change's Power Threshold.
>
> I was thinking that the "CAN" would "allow" any other Instrument to
> award the Black Ribbon. But the event is probably more likely to be upheld.
>

> I withdraw my most recently submitted proposal.
>
> I submit the following proposal:
>
> Title: De-secure Black Ribbons v2
>
> Author: Jason
>
> Co-author: ais523
>
> Adoption index: 3.0
>

> {
>
> Amend Rule 2438 (Ribbons) by replacing the text "This rule does not
> specify any methods of obtaining Black Ribbons." with the text "An
> Instrument CAN, as part of its effect, cause a person to earn a Black
> Ribbon. When this occurs, this Rule awards that person a Black Ribbon.".
>
> }
>
> --
> Jason Cobb

I have the same question here as in another thread [0]: since awarding
a ribbon is a regulated action, does this rule need to explicitly
specify a mechanism that it's using to award the ribbon (or explicitly
override R2125)?

[0]
https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-discussion/2020-February/056905.html