On 4/2/2020 11:05 AM, James Cook wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Apr 2020 at 17:24, Kerim Aydin wrote:

>>> I withdraw my bid.  I bid 83 coins.
>>>

>> Ugh, actually I'd forgotten how broken auctions are when this happens.
>>
>> I terminate this auction.
>
> Does R2552's "if ... the Auctioneer ... cannot transfer any item"
> apply when there's at least one item the Auctioneer cannot transfer,
> or does it only apply when there aren't any lots the Auctioneer can
> transfer? I had been reading it the second way, which I think would
> mean you weren't successful in terminating it.

Yeah, "any item included in a lot" is definitely singular by my reading.

> I'm not sure why I was reading it the second way. I guess I just
> assumed the purpose of the rule was to allow an auction to be ended if
> it becomes completely irrelevant. But ending auctions where the
> bidders have to try to dodge the missing slot could also be a reason I
> guess.

The general auction rules were written without zombie auctions in mind and
were centered around Free Auctions, and I think the authors were worried
about some kinda scams, so the idea was "if any item in any lot is
unavailable, the auction as a whole is broken in some way".

Dodging a missing slot is a kind of interesting game (I was pondering
keeping it going to try that) but isn't really an auction?  I think the
most auction-like choice would be either just decreasing the lots/winners,
or (perhaps) actually not require lot ordering and the winner gets first
pick and so forth (though that causes a bunch of delays).

Of course in this case you could just re-start the auction if you liked
with the still-valid lots :).

-G.