On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 1:20 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-business
<agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> Reviews all the 2019 cases (including those not in the archives).
>
> My shortlist (discussion welcome!  Especially if there's one not on this
> list where I missed its deep importance/later citations)
>

> CFJ 3694 by Judge D. Margaux
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3694
>
> This case let zombie auctions function in our minds (enough for zombie
> possession to be self-ratified) for nearly a year.  I appreciate it
> because it comes from a very valid real-world judicial decision (finding
> common sense and obvious intent in confusingly-written law) even though
> our Agoran style eventually reasserted itself by overturning this case.
> Definitely had a big impact on gameplay (i.e. every zombie auction for a
> year).

Hmm. I would hardly criticize the ruling, but I'm just not seeing the
sort of insight or cleverness that makes me say "oh, wow that's an
amazing judgement". It's a perfectly good judgement, but I don't think
it meets the standard for being commemorated by a patent title. By
contrast, in all of the other cases up for consideration I think the
judgements are extremely enlightening.

> CFJs 3722-3724, by Judge Aris
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3722
> The untangling of a very complicated situation.

Current Agoran practice seems to be to avoid speaking in favor of
one's own work, except to answer questions and point out context.
However, the rulings in these CFJs aren't actually my work; they're
twg's work. I will confess that I just read the judgments, and went
"wow, my reasoning here was really top notch", and was rather
disappointed that I couldn't argue in favor of giving myself the Gavel
for it because of the social convention. I then saw the note at the
top that said twg actually wrote the judgements and was even more
disappointed that they weren't actually mine. I'd feel extremely
uncomfortable accepting the Wooden Gavel for a case in which I
summarily assigned the prior judge's draft judgement, without any
independent reasoning of my own. Can we please give twg the Wooden
Gavel, by proposal if necessary?

> CFJs 3726-3727, by Judge Falsifian
> https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3726
> A nice examination and very interesting discussion on the timing of
> self-ratification versus "truth" in judgement.

These are definitely of significant precedential value; they're part
of what caused us to reconsider the entire ratification system. Plus,
the reasoning is well thought out. Definitely Gavel worthy.

-Aris