On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:14 AM nch via agora-business <
agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 19, 2020 11:55:03 AM CDT nch via agora-business wrote:
> > By my math this eliminates 108 words from the rules, and more importantly
> > makes announcement default so it doesn't need to be included in new rules
> > (and therefore can't accidentally be left out). I think this needs some
> > careful vetting to make sure it doesn't break anything.
> >
> > I submit the following proposal:
> >
> > {
> > Title: No More 'By Announcement'
> > AI: 3.0
> > Author: nch
> >

> I withdraw this proposal. It needs to be AI=3.1, but I'll wait for
> feedback to
> resubmit.

An AI 3.0 proposal can amend any rule.

I don't like this idea. The history of this provision is that I gave a CFJ
judgement essentially establishing something like this. Everyone
(especially G.) thought it was a terrible idea, and they persuaded me. CAN
has a very sensible default meaning currently, that allows us to do things
like specifying a method in one place and enabling its use in another.
Also, the need to write out the by announcement makes you think about
whether that's actually what you want. But most of all, I just really don't
like making this implicit, even if it's explicitly defined as being
implicit.

Those are my gut reactions anyway, apologies if they're less than cogent.

-Aris