On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 5:06 PM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 5/19/2020 4:45 PM, Aris Merchant wrote:
> > On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Kerim Aydin wrote:
> >
> >> 3.  This far too much mess to do monthly IMO, you'd barely sort out one
> >> before it was time to do the next.  Might I suggest quarterly?
> >

> > I don't understand why. I think the confusion here is possibly my use of
> > the word "budget", which implies something that changes every time. That's
> > not my vision for how this would play out. I'd think that the Budget
> > Regulations wouldn't change much from month to month, only changing when
> > the officer thought they needed to tweak something.
> >
> > As for the calculations, I definitely don't think doing those monthly is a
> > problem. All of them are simple formulas applied to information the
> > Treasuror tracks in eir weekly report. E's entirely capable of doing that,
> > especially when e's being compensated with control of half the Agoran
> > budget.
> >
> > Is there something I'm missing here? Or do you have a different vision for
> > how this should play out?
>
> Nothing deep here, it's a "pace of gameplay" thing from a profiting player
> perspective, not from an officer perspective.  I just think that if
> players are trying to plan things like upcoming trades or auctions, having
> a bunch of calculations like this can take time, especially as these are
> the kinds of things that are prone to error (e.g. if you remember o's
> system and the constant re-dos).  I feel like I'd be constantly having to
> account for taxes which feels like more of a burden than the gameplay is
> worth.
>
> Especially when you think of things like the fact that auctions that start
> at the beginning of the month will require paying in the same week as
> taxes, as you've written it.  An officer can really screw people up by
> careful timing of the tax.  (even if you shift the week a bit, having to
> time all that monthly is quite a headache IMO).

My biggest concern here is that the budgets will get set wrong, we'll
run out of money for something important half way through the quarter,
and then suddenly there will be no pay for officers or judges or
whatever for the rest of the quarter. If that happens in a month, the
problem lasts a few weeks tops.

-Aris