On 6/9/2020 5:32 PM, Reuben Staley via agora-discussion wrote:
Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread. I kind of forgot about this for a bit there.

On 2020-06-03 18:59, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion wrote:
On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:48 PM Reuben Staley via agora-discussion

On 2020-06-03 17:00, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via
agora-discussion wrote:
On Jun 3, 2020, at 18:48, Reuben Staley via agora-discussion <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
    Parties to this contract should signal their own messages. They
    should also, if a message that should be signaled lacks signaling,
    reply to that message, signaling their own message and stating that
    the quoted message contains actions that should be signaled.
I’m not sure how I feel about this clause. I apologize for not raising this at an earlier draft, but I wonder whether this will actually help or just serve to make the mailing list busier. I think if it becomes near universal, this will be good because the collective impact will be minimally busying  and will allow everyone to read fewer messages if they don’t want to; otherwise, I think it will just crowd the mailing list.

I'm sorry, I don't know if I follow this logic here. Which section do
you have qualms about? The "signaling their own messages" or the
"signaling for other's messages" part?

Sorry, this is about the "signaling for other's messages" part.

I was unsure about the inclusion of this clause in the original message because it will inevitably bring a lot more traffic. I think it's the right call though. If we only ask that players signal their own messages, then life will only be marginally easier for officers. If we help other players by signaling their messages, though, then life gets easier even faster.

I think it also provides a very nice opportunity for teaching by example. When someone fails to signal, they'll see someone signal for them and I think they'll remember that for the next time they do that action and that will lead to more people signaling by themselves. Over time, additional traffic caused by this mechanic will slow as we all become a more considerate.

Then again, that might just be my hopeful side speaking.

TO EVERYONE: If you're reading this, I'd like you to pitch in and tell me what you think. The quotes above should give a context about the mechanic in question.

Your argument is compelling. Leading by example is a good way to get people to do things.
  • DIS: [Proto-Contract]... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
    • Re: DIS: [Proto-... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
      • Re: DIS: [Pr... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
        • Re: DIS:... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
          • Re: ... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
            • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
              • ... Reuben Staley via agora-discussion
                • ... Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via agora-discussion
            • ... ATMunn via agora-discussion