On 6/11/2020 4:27 PM, Kerim Aydin wrote:
> On 6/11/2020 4:05 PM, Alex Smith via agora-discussion wrote:
>>  On Thursday, 11 June 2020, 23:32:12 GMT+1, Kerim Aydin via agora-business
>> <agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>>> Gratuitous:
>>>
>>> The Pineapple Partnership was judged to be a person at the time the case
>>> was assigned, and the Rules of the time made em a person [cites later].
>>> So it was a legal judgement of the time (which closed the case). Making
>>> the PP cease to be a person (which happened later) did not re-open the case.
>>
>> Gratuitous: The case isn't open, but nothing says that only /open/ cases
>> require a judge. Closed cases also require a judge, if they don't have one.
>>
>> This is likely a bug that should be fixed.
>>

> Well, it's down to Switches again.
>
> The PP history is unclear, but it definitely ceased being a person by 2014
> (when personhood for contracts was removed).  Judicial assignment at the
> time read:
>
>       At any time, a judicial case either has no judge assigned to it
>       (default) or has exactly one entity assigned to it as judge.
>       This is a persistent status that changes only according to the
>       rules.
>
>       When a judicial case is open and has no judge assigned, the CotC
>       CAN assign a qualified entity to be its judge by announcement,
>       and SHALL do so in a timely fashion.
>
> Now, there were other rules that said the CotC could only *assign* an
> eligible player to judge.  But once assigned, the "one entity" made it
> pretty clear that personhood didn't matter and the assigned entity stayed
> the judge even if e ceased to be a person.  This seems to be true up
> through late 2018 - then (my fault of course!!!) I proposed making it a
> switch.
>
>> Amended(30) by P8134 'The judge switch' (G.), 02 Dec 2018
>
> Here's the full text of that proposal, note the "explicit setting" of the
> judge switch after the rule change.  (Of course that setting would have
> reverted to default for non-persons, making my final comment inside this
> proposal a bit untrue, to say the least!)
>
> How about an amendment that change "person" to "current or former person"
> in the possible switch values?  (and retroactively makes those non-persons
> judges again).

> Amend R991 (Calls for Judgement) by replacing the paragraph beginning
> "When a CFJ has no judge assigned" with the following text:
>
>   Judge is an untracked CFJ switch with possible values of any
>   person or "unassigned" (default).  To "assign" a CFJ to a person
>   is to flip that CFJ's judge to that person.  To "remove" or
>   "recuse" a person from a being the judge of a CFJ is to flip that
>   CFJ's judge from that person to unassigned.
>
>   When a CFJ's judge is unassigned, the Arbitor CAN assign any
>   eligible player to be its judge by announcement, and SHALL do so
>   in a timely fashion. The players eligible to be assigned as judge
>   are all active players except the initiator and the person barred
> [...]

Additional comment:  the reason for the change in 2018 was in fact a bug -
that the previous version didn't explicitly limit CFJs from having more
than one judge.  The Arbitor could only *assign* a judge to a case without
a judge, so it hadn't come up, but then Certiorari was introduced which
allowed the PM to make emself a judge - but nothing in the rules said that
Cert removed the previous judge.  Hence the uniqueness of switch values
for tracking a judge seemed useful, it made Cert work without amending it :)