On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:30 AM Owen Jacobson <o...@grimoire.ca> wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 4:15 AM, Alex Smith <ais...@alumni.bham.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > If you're subscribed to the Agora lists (and I'm pretty sure you are),
> > you should also be able to log in to the archive here:
> > <https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-business/>
>
> Would you believe, these archives are corrupt according to the more
> reasonable interpretations of the BSD mbox format? I suspect that there may
> be a very old Mailman bug lurking in them.
>
> The agora-business archive contains, in the message
>
> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 00:31:31 +1100 (EST)
> From: Steve Gardner <gard...@sng.its.monash.edu.au>
> To: Agora Business <agora-busin...@agoranomic.org>
>
> a line beginning with the characters ‘From ‘ which is not prefixed with >
> or transformed by any encoding.
>
> I’ll happily consider that my parser may be incorrect, but I’m reasonably
> sure that no BSD mailbox should contain such a line, other than as a
> message delimiter.
>
> It’s not the end of the world, I can easily fix the message in my local
> copy and carry on with life, but: wow.
>
> -o

Okay, I know this reply is very late. This is just one of those things that
I keep never having time for, or forgetting. I've been meaning to reply to
this since I originally received it though and now I have the time.

My understanding is that this is an intentional noncomformance on the part
of mailman. As far as I can recall, it's not a bug. They just decided to
ignore the standard. There are scripts that will transform it to standard
format. I used to have a link as a citation for this, but I've since lost
it.

-Aris