On 6/25/2020 4:54 PM, Jason Cobb via agora-discussion wrote:
> On 6/25/20 7:48 PM, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion wrote:
>> On 6/25/2020 4:40 PM, Jason Cobb via agora-discussion wrote:
>>> Auction regulations are regulations defined by this rule, all of which
>>> comprise a single body of law, and for which the Treasuror is the
>>> promulgator. The scope of auction regulations is wholly restricted to
>>> defining specific auction methods (i.e. "the default auction method")
>>> and placing binding obligations upon auctioneers. Definitions in auction
>>> regulations are used by Rules whenever clearly identified. The Treasuror
>>> SHOULD promulgate auction regulations in a manner that aids trade and
>>> commerce. To further aid trade and commerce, auction regulations are to
>>> be interpreted in the name of fairness with deference to the method's
>>> clear intent, if intent can be reasonably inferred.
>> Well, I tried to be a tapecutter in this rule, but Agorans be Agorans.  Is
>> this really an improvement over the more self-contained concept?
>> (honestly I didn't want to use regulations at all here).
>>

> Yeah, sorry about that. I'm not sure what you mean by "the more
> self-contained concept", but I can propose to tear out the regulations
> phrasing from the rule if you want.

Hmm.  What is really wanted is a document that defines terms/procedures
without actually authorizing them.

The good thing about using regulations is that is has a good level of
document stability built in (i.e. a defined tracker, and a formal public
process to modify).  That's the only reason I used them.

But the need to now add "body of law", "scope" is a minus, plus you've put
what look to me like unnecessary legalese (eg "Definitions in auction
regulations are used by Rules whenever clearly identified") that take the
point away from the goal of this of common sense interpretation IMO.

This is something of an experiment, and (like we've talked about for Sets)
I'd like to avoid tweaking the experiment in a way that takes away its
experimental qualities (by adding back in all the Agoran legal cruft - the
absence of which is what I mean by "self-contained concept") until it
becomes clear through judgement or whatever that it's actually necessary.

-G.