On Thu, 2 Jul 2020 at 14:15, Publius Scribonius Scholasticus via
agora-discussion <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> On 7/1/20 12:15 PM, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion wrote:
> >
> > tl;dr What do people think about a separate method for arts degrees that's
> > more akin to applause and somehow brings in Bard?  (just in general).
> >
> > longer:
> >
> > I didn't think about this when voting last month, but the new art degrees
> > are kind of how we used to award Bard.  A person produces Good Art, and by
> > acclaim they are awarded Bard.
> >
> > I'd be a bit sad to see that sidelined, plus the peer-review process seems
> > a bit stuffy for art.  Not that art *can't* be reviewed critically and
> > academically, but (1) most people are producing it for the applause not
> > the analysis when they publish and (2) it's just less fun to do a piece of
> > performance art, get told "that's just a draft here's the critiques in
> > your rhyme scheme" and publish it again.  Better for people to applaud and
> > say "that's some good art, any 'mistakes' are just little happy trees and
> > part of the performance."
> >
> > So just thinking about writing a method for that and looking for general
> > feedback first.
> >
> > -G.
> >

> My thinking here is that people can choose which to use. If someone
> doesn't want to use peer review, e can state that and I'll try to give
> em the Bard, but if e wants a degree, e has to go through peer review.
> This is similar to the difference between being recognized for good art
> by a professional association and being granted an MFA.

One strange thing here is that Bard is mixed in with a long list of
other titles in R2581, but (from this point of view) is arguably more
similar to degrees than those other titles.

Also, I recently noticed the description of Bard says it's for
*repeated* creative wit or poetry. Though I think we recently awarded
it for a single work.

- Falsifian