> > "Every intelligence is a person."
> >
> > Is a chatbot an intelligence? I worry that "intelligence" may be more
> > broad than we want.
>
> The OED entry I was going for "An intelligent or rational being, esp.
> a spiritual one, or one alien to mankind". But, like, obviously not
> the especially portion of that, just the whole thing. I think "an
> intelligence" at least implies something that has around the same
> level of intelligence as a human. The other wording that was
> considered was "natural person", but it's clumsy in the sentence and
> potentially excludes too many things.

The first place I checked was Wiktionary, which has:

1. (chiefly uncountable) Capacity of mind, especially to understand
   principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply
   it to practice; the ability to comprehend and learn.
2. (countable) An entity that has such capacities.

I think it's not really clear from that what the bar is. (And before
looking it up I wasn't sure either.)

I think I'd prefer something narrower but I don't know if it's enough
of an issue to affect my vote.

I'm more concerned about the "former person" thing. I don't have a nice
suggestion for phrasing, but maybe the idea could be that if you ever
were a person according to this definition, then you're a person now.
(The current "is or ever was" phrasing does this but it's hard to carry
over to the new definition.)

> > "...with deference toward the good-faith..."
> >
> > Something about good-faith is a great idea. I wonder if we should be a
> > bit more specific, though; someone coming upon this out of the blue may
> > not understand what kind of behaviour this is trying to mark as taboo,
> > and so may in good faith treat this rule in a way we don't want.
> >
> > ***
> >
> > What about something narrower:
> >
> > * Insert "or part of an organism", as in "Any entity that is or ever
> >   was an organism, or a part of an organism, generally capable..." etc.
> >   Maybe there is a better wording.
> >
> > * And then add a good-faith clause, but more specific than Aris's: the
> >   person must in good faith consider emself to have an independent
> >   identity.
>
> Keep in mind, this is modifying the portion on multi-persons, not the
> earlier standard of personhood. So this only applies to when multiple
> people want to be treated as one person, the portion reading "A group
> of intelligences may also elect to form a single person, as long as
> each intelligence only plays as one person at a time" (though we could
> consider expanding it to apply to the whole paragraph).

Ah, I missed that.

> I think your solutions are trying to address a problem that doesn't
> really exist. Me pretending to be someone else is not in any
> meaningful sense a separate intelligence than me. The situations where
> you have actually meaningfully separate intelgences/persons are
> already the ones we want to target.

Yeah, I don't think it's an issue. I was just reading it wrong and then
imagining unlikely consequences.

--
Falsifian