On Sun, Apr 4, 2021 at 2:35 PM Edward Murphy via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> Aris wrote:
>
> > Title: Clearer Regulated Actions
> > Adoption index: 3.0
> > Author: Aris
> > Co-author(s):
> >

> > [The current regulated actions rule has a few problems with it.
> > First, there is the perennial problem where Rule 2125(1) appears to
> > make all actions regulated, since the rules arguably permit
> > everything they do not forbid. Although precedent (CFJ 3519) has
> > ruled that this is not the case, several players are not convinced
> > by the precedent. In any case, there's no particular reason a
> > MAY should make an action regulated.
> >
> > Rule 2125(3) has a different problem. Precedent (CFJ 3740) has ruled
> > that the phrase "required to be a recordkeepor" only applies if the
> > rules explicitly use the word "recordkeepor", which is confusing
> > to say the least. Furthermore, the reasoning for that precedent
> > appears to be that in some cases players are required to track natural
> > concepts that should not be regulated state, e.g. the list of
> > players interested in judging. If the goal is to limit it to rule
> > defined state, it should say that, and this proposal would make it
> > do so.]
> >
> > Amend Rule 2125, "Regulated Actions", by replacing:
> >
> >    An action is regulated if: (1) the Rules limit, allow, enable, or
> >    permit its performance; (2) the Rules describe the circumstances
> >    under which the action would succeed or fail; or (3) the action
> >    would, as part of its effect, modify information for which some
> >    player is required to be a recordkeepor.
> >
> > with:
> >
> >    An action is regulated if: (1) the Rules limit or enable its
> >    performance; (2) the Rules describe the circumstances under
> >    which the action would succeed or fail; or (3) the action would,
> >    as part of its effect, modify a rule-defined state of affairs.
>
> How about merging (1) and (2) into "the Rules describe the circumstances
> under which the action is or is not effective and/or legal"?

I don't think that's a correct merger of 1 and 2. I'm basically
removing the "legal" and making it only apply to effectiveness. The
question, really, is whether limiting and enabling is a different
thing from describing circumstances for success and failure. The
current text appears to assume that it is, but I could see it going
either way.

-Aris