On Sun, 2021-06-06 at 18:51 -0700, Aris Merchant via agora-discussion
wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 6, 2021 at 6:41 PM ais523 via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> > Based on how much Aris is trying to hoover up all the Voting Cards
> > recently: Hey, Agora, you should probably make proposal 8565
> > Democratic.
>
> Alternatively, you could vote for it! A free black ribbon and possibly
> other prizes await, but only if it passes!
>
> Besides, if we make all the interesting proposals democratic the first
> anyone actually tries to use extra votes, what's the point of having
> extra votes? In that case, we may as well repeal them, given that it's
> been like a year and no one has given them any significant use at all
> (beyond Jason nabbing some cash prizes). I will note that I make no
> warranty whatsoever that this paragraph contained a good argument.

There were plenty of extra-voting-power-dump scams pulled off last time
we had an easy way to make proposals Democratic.

The trick is to make it non-obvious that you're planning it, both in
terms of planning to dump voting power, and in terms of which proposal
you're planning to dump the voting power onto. Generally speaking, you
would force through a proposal that contained an intentional loophole
allowing a win, as opposed to a proposal that outright obviously gave
you the win. (I was opposed to the original repeal of Support Democracy
because it made this kind of scam/tactic much less interesting.)

Trying to make extra votes work is hard, though; either they break the
game, or they do nothing, with not much in between. I think they worked
better when they were tied to an asset that also had more common uses
than boosting voting power, so it was less obvious when someone was
stockpiling them for scam purposes.

--
ais523