On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 3:28 PM Rebecca Lee via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 3:20 PM Telna via agora-business <
> agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
> > I intend without objection to clean Rule 2635 "Floating Rate Fleet" by
> > correcting the word "Floatation" to "Flotation".
> >
> > (Wait, does Rule 2221 "Cleanliness and Tidy Filing" even work? Rule 105
> > "Rule Changes" says that no other rule can provide a mechanism to modify
> > rules, and they're both the same power + the latter has a lower ID
> > number. I make the intent regardless, though.)
> >

> . First words of 105 "When the rules provide that an instrument takes
> effect, it can generally [change the rules]". Rule 2221 allows players to
> change the rules, but it does not provide that an instrument takes effect.
> Players are not instruments (an instrument is an entity with positive
> power, players do not have power)\.  As you note 105 says " This rule
> provides the only mechanism by which rules can be created, modified, or
> destroyed, or by which an entity can become a rule or cease to be a rule."
> 105 takes precedence due to its ID number.
>
> Yep, it seems very clear to me that rule 2221 does not provide a mechanism
> for changing the rules. It needs to be amended to state that it takes
> precedence.
>
> This has the following additional consequence: Any rule changes under 2221
> since the last SLR ratification must be reversed.
>

> --
> From R. Lee

Ignore this email, I was talking nonsense. Rule 2221 says that the cleaning
amends things "by this rule". Rule 2221 is an instrument so it can make
changes as long as it fits under the specifications of rule 105.

The old version of 2221 which had the player emself amend the rule was held
invalid by CFJ 2494, immediately after which the "by this rule" clause was
inserted.