On Sun, 2021-10-31 at 17:47 -0700, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
wrote:
> The self-destruct timer is hard to resist:
> >    The time window of a device is W days, where W is the value
> >    explicitly stated by the device, or 60 if the device does not
> >    explicitly state a value. A device ceases to exist at the end of
> >    its time window.
> (not sure I'd support it tho).

I'm not entirely sure what would happen if the self-destruct expired -
it would cause the device to cease to exist, but it couldn't modify the
rules defining it (it doesn't meet R105's requirement to post the full
text of the change).

Rule 2654 does win precedence battles with rule 2655, which is the more
interesting way round for it to happen (if the numbers were the other
way round, I'd say this change would unambiguously do nothing).

The *other* interesting thing about this is, of course, that it only
works while the device is in a given position, which complicates
matters still further (especially if the Device doesn't exist at the
time).

As a side note, "ceases to exist at the end of its time window" appears
to be a point check - it wouldn't cause it to cease to exist *after*
the end of its time window. The Device will have existed for more than
60 days by the time the intent can be resolved, but it's unclear at
what point in time the time window would start.

All in all, a very fertile ground for CFJs! The main drawback would be
a risk of accidentally ending things early, but it couldn't destroy the
rules defining the Device - just potentially the Device itself, and we
could presumably recreate it by proposal.

--
ais523
Mad Engineer