On 2/10/2022 9:23 PM, Aspen via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:24 PM secretsnail9 via agora-business
> <agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>> I point a finger at Murphy for failure to judge CFJ 3940 in a timely
>> fashion,
>> in violation of Rule 591.
>> I note that this offense is minor (about two hours late) and likely
>> forgivable.
>> I also note that Murphy attempted to award emself blue glitter for their
>> judgement,
>> which failed because of this violation.
>> (This is how I intend to handle all violations except for extreme
>> circumstances.
>> Remember that a judge can file a motion to extend their case by
>> announcement.)
>

> I wish to register my strong personal disapproval for this action. I'm
> generally opposed to aggressive enforcement of deadlines to begin
> with. I am all the more opposed to enforcement against tardiness that
> has already been rectified. If no one noticed at the time, then I do
> not believe that it makes any sense to impose a penalty after the
> fact.

I first instinctively agreed with Aspen, but on further reflection I'd
like to try being strict about rules breaches, including even minor tardiness.

A few times in the past few years, I've come up with an scheme/idea, but
it depends on officers being on time (getting a proposal adopted before
the end of the month, posting a tournament update, or something).  The
officer is late.  I lose my scheme and any time investment.  Overall it's
less fun for everyone because it was interesting gameplay.  But the
officer is very sorry.  And I (and we collectively) truly do understand,
Agora isn't anyone's #1 priority, and I'm late often too.  It happens.  No
biggie.

But still, I've lost my invested effort due to the breach.  Since our
current culture treats a finger-point as a "true" rebuke, I'd feel bad for
pointing or not accepting an officer's informal apology.  So I don't
penalize them, but I feel annoyed.  As a result, I might get a bit
passive-aggressive.  Maybe snipe at something e says or vote against eir
unrelated proposal, whatever.  It's petty and the lateness is truly nbd -
but the feeling's there for a few days and need to watch myself, or step
away from the game for a little.  Not fun.  And I'm less likely to try the
next scheme (which is the point of the game after all).

I would VERY MUCH RATHER just be able to say "no worries, it happens, but
here's a Blot - that's not a rebuke, that's just a technical
nearly-automatic penalty the game applies, no one has to feel bad about
it."  Then we can move on.

Any forgiveness can/should be dealt with on the sentencing side - we've
got mechanisms for forgiveness, reduction in penalties, or just asking for
a BBG.  And if that's still to onerous, the obvious approach is to change
the rules - reduce penalties for weekly reports, make the first missed
officer's duty in a quarter a Warning, or any of a dozen other things.

Other side effects of our current policy:

- Challenging for new players.  It's written in the rules that fingers are
to be pointed at breaches, and we even *reward* for doing so.  Then the
first time a newb points a finger, thinking to pick up a JC (a great way
for a new player to gain when auctions are out of reach), we say "we don't
do that around here - goodfaithhonor and all that".  They then need to
navigate a hidden, against-the-text-of-the-rules social pressure while
older players are comfortable knowing which fingers they can and can't
safely point, with the difference being relatively-arbitrary social
pressure.  Also not fun.

- The economy.  We've taken a general strong stand against pending
proposals for free, to support the pendant economy.  Following that logic,
why would we depress/downright destroy the BBG economy?

-G.