On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 1:29 PM Jason Cobb via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> > A player CAN swap the locations of two specified spaces by paying a fee
> of
> > 5 Movies.
>
> The grid rule doesn't clearly support this. I think, in general, it
> would be better to avoid modifying the locations of spaces in order to
> avoid questions of what happens when a space's location is set to an
> invalid value.

I think it was fine as it was, but it should probably be kept and better
defined because the potential gameplay from it seems worth the trouble.

> Overall this just seems grindy, difficult to track, and not particularly
> fun to play. It also screws over anybody who joins in the middle of the
> round, and it's potentially significantly damaging to miss even a week
> with a free move if other players aren't willing to sell you assets to
> catch up.

I adjusted the win condition and how vertokens work to make it more
forgiving for new players. Now a mountain climb only counts towards a win
if you were the most recent person to climb it. Also I changed the tokens
to be liquid and destructible, because why not? This seems like something
that could be easily added to if passed, and I was hoping other people
could suggest changes to make gameplay better.

I've been throwing a lot of ideas around in my head, including:
* making the huge fence much bigger, for example placing a fence on all
spaces with a certain entry for a dimension (but that would be a third of
all spaces and definitely hard to track)
* adding some kind of mines for the products instead of having them come
for payday
* linking the current economy or point system somehow
* adding a way for assets to be stored on spaces
* Making it so only one fence can be on a space at a time and you destroy
fences instead of hopping over them
* Calling the fences gates and making the fee for passing through go to a
player, and have the fee be set by the owner
* Making fences reinforced so they take more to get over
* A way to claim others' fences as your own

I think I also addressed everything else you mentioned in this new draft:

Title: The Hexeract
AI: 1.0
Author: secretsnail
Coauthors:

Create a rule with title "Grids" and the following text:
{

A grid has D dimensions, where D is a positive integer, and where its 1st
through Dth dimensions are defined in the rules. Each finite dimension has
a width of W, where W is a positive integer. A dimension is either wrapping
(syn. wrapped) or non-wrapping (default). A dimension is either infinite or
finite (default).

A location on a grid is a vector with D dimensions, where D is the number
of dimensions the grid has, with each dimension having a value as an entry,
whose Dth entry is a non-negative integer less than the Dth dimension's
width if the Dth dimension is neither infinite nor wrapping. All entries
for a given wrapping dimension are equal modulo that dimension's width. For
example, in a grid with 2 Dimensions of widths 2 then 3, [1,2] would be a
valid location and [2,1] would, if and only if the 1st dimension is
wrapping, also be a valid location.

A grid has exactly one space for each location on that grid.

A space (A) is adjacent to another space in the same grid (B) if it is
possible to once add 1 or once subtract 1 from a single entry in B's
location to get A's location. For example, on a grid with 2 dimensions of
widths 2 then 3, [1,2] would be adjacent to [1,0] if the grid was wrapping,
and not adjacent if it is not wrapping.)

Space A and space B to swap locations is for Space A's location to be
changed to Space B's location, and for Space B's location to be changed to
Space A's location, simultaneously.

}

Create a rule with title "The Hexeract" and the following text:
{

The Hexeract is a grid with 6 dimensions. The 1st-6th dimensions all have a
width of 3.

The Hexor is an office, whose weekly report includes a visual
representation of each of The Hexeract's spaces.

Fence List is a [space on The Hexeract] switch tracked by the Hexor, with
any set of persons as a possible value, and is the empty set by default. A
person "owns a fence on" a space if e is in that space's Fence List. A
space is "fenced" if its Fence List is not the empty set. A space on The
Hexeract can be referred to by its location.

Player Space is a player switch tracked by the Hexor with possible values
from the set on all spaces on The Hexeract, defaulting to [1,1,1,1,1,1].
For a player to move to a space is to change eir Player Space value to that
space. A player is on a space if eir Player Space value is that space.

Fencehops, Fences, and Movies are each a currency, tracked by the Hexor.

Whenever a payday occurs, each active player gains 1 Fencehop, 1 Fence, and
1 Movie.

A player CAN once a month grant 1 Fencehop, 1 Fence, or 1 Movie to a
specified player by announcement.

A player CAN, if e has not already done any of the below this week:

   * move to a specified non-fenced space adjacent to the one e is on by
announcement.

   * move to a specified fenced space adjacent to the one e is on by
announcement, provided e owns a fence on that space.

   * move to a specified fenced space adjacent to the one e is on without
objection from any Player who owns a fence on that space.

   * move to a specified fenced space adjacent to the one e is on by paying
a fee of 1 Fencehop.

   * move to a specified fenced space e owns a fence on by paying a fee of
3 Fencehops.

A player CAN Build a Fence by paying a fee of 1 Fence, provided e doesn't
already own a fence on the space e is on. When e does so, e is added to
that space's Fence List.

A player CAN Build a Huge Fence by paying a fee of 5 Fences. When e does
so, e is added to the Fence List of each space adjacent to the one e is on.

A player CAN move to a specified non-fenced space adjacent to the one e is
on by paying a fee of 1 Movie.

A player CAN swap the locations of two specified spaces by paying a fee of
5 Movies.

Each space on The Hexeract with the form [A,B,C,D,E,F], where A, B, C, D,
E, and F are each either 0 or 2 (the 64 corners of the grid) starts out
with a mountain on it when created. Mountain Name is a mountain switch
tracked by the Hexor, with any string as a possible value, defaulting to
"Unnamed". To rename a mountain to a string is to set that mountain's
Mountain Name to that string.

Vertokens are an asset tracked by the Hexor, with a specific mountain as a
type. There is a distinct Vertoken type for each mountain that currently
exists on a space on The Hexeract.

A player CAN Climb by announcement, provided e is on a space with a
mountain on it. When e does so, all Vertokens with that mountain as a type
are destroyed, and then e gains a Vertoken with that mountain as a type.
When a player Climbs, e can optionally specify a string as a name for the
mountain. If e does so, the mountain on the space e is on is renamed to the
specified string.

If a player has at least 16 Vertokens, e CAN See the Truth by announcement,
specifying a set of no more than 3 players, provided no person has won the
game via this rule in the past 30 days. When e does so, the specified
players win the game. Four days after such a win occurs, all Fencehops,
Fences, Movies, and Vertokens are destroyed, all spaces are destroyed and
replaced with new spaces, and all players move to [1,1,1,1,1,1].

}

--
secretsnail