On 5/15/2022 9:21 AM, nix via agora-discussion wrote:
> 111. The state of affairs that constitutes winning may not be altered
> from achieving n points to any other state of affairs. The magnitude of
> n and the means of earning points may be changed, and rules that
> establish a winner when play cannot continue may be enacted and (while
> they are mutable) be amended or repealed. When a player wins, the Herald
> shall announce this fact, and the tournament ends with that player as
> the winner.

[snip]

> 210. If the rules are changed so that further play is impossible, or if
> the legality of a move cannot be determined with finality, or if by the
> Herald's reasoning, a move appears equally legal and illegal, then the
> first player who attempts, but is unable to complete, a turn is the winner.

As part of my J.D. Thesis on the continuity of the judicial system (CFJ
3822), ancient CFJ 7 was judged in modern times, 27 years late (by Judge
Jason and co-author judge Aspen), which found a weird thing with these two
initial Suber/Agora rules.

https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?7
https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/?3822

R111 says "winning can't be altered from achieving N points to any other
state of affairs."

But according to R210, the game starts with the rules *already* in
"another state of affairs" by describing an additional way to win (the
judgement in CFJ 7 found that all the initial rules came into effect
simultaneously, so R210 wasn't blocked by R111 existing).  Since the game
isn't in R111's "state of affairs" to begin with, R111 has no effect.
(i.e. Rule 111 says "you can't go from A to B" and R210 says "but we're
starting out at B already so that limitation has no effect.")

However, this means that repealing R210 (a mutuable rule) would put the
rules back into the R111-state (state A) and thereafter R111 would be
controlling, so repealing that mutable rule makes the immutable rule function.

I don't think it has a practical effect or that it needs to be changed for
this tournament, but it was fun to find an "ancient bug" as it were in the
Suber ruleset.

-G.