On 7/8/22 00:03, secretsnail9 via agora-discussion wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 10:37 PM Jason Cobb via agora-discussion <
> agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/22 19:58, secretsnail9 via agora-discussion wrote:
>>> As it has no mentions of the rules, I didn't think it was necessary to
>>> include an interpretation where a tabled action must be rules-defined as
>> an
>>> action able to be performed with one of those methods. But looking at
>> Rule
>>> 2125 (Regulated Actions), I do see the relevance.
>>>

>>> A Regulated Action CAN only be performed as described by the
>>>       Rules, and only using the methods explicitly specified in the
>>>       Rules for performing the given action.
>>>

>>> You can make the connection that an action "is performed with a method"
>>> means that action "CAN be performed by that method as described by the
>>> rules", but that seems like a bit of a jump given the wording is
>>> significantly different as I argued, "is performed" vs "CAN be
>> performed".
>>>
>>> As the rules don't explicitly say that tabled actions have to be
>>> rules-defined to be intended, we shouldn't just assume that's what the
>>> rules mean. We should consider it, but there's no evidence that suggests
>> it
>>> to be true. The lack of an explicit requirement to be rules-defined more
>>> implies that there is no requirement to be rules-defined than there being
>>> one.
>>
>> The fact that the usages of those methods must be rules-defined is
>> inherent in the fact that, in order for the rules to recognize the uses
>> of those methods, the actions must necessarily be regulated. It is
>> IMPOSSIBLE to take an action with N support if the rules do not permit
>> you to do so. You might have another method to do so if it's
>> unregulated, but that won't be "with N support".
>>

> The action does not necessarily need to be POSSIBLE to be a tabled action.
> It could be a tabled action that is currently impossible to take. That
> doesn't change that if it was performed "with support", it would be a
> tabled action, even if it currently IMPOSSIBLE to perform the action with
> support. These actions are regulated, yes, but impossible regulated actions
> can still be tabled actions if they would be performed by a tabled action
> method.
>
> --
> secretsnail

The action of "going shopping at the store" is not "performed by
dropping a penny on the floor", because there's no possible way that the
latter can result in the former. I think it's atextual to read this
clause to consider possible future hypotheticals. The rules must be
interpreted using their current text (or, for a CFJ, the text at the
time of calling), not possible future text.

--
Jason Cobb

Arbitor, Assessor, Rulekeepor, S​tonemason