On Tue, Feb 7, 2023 at 7:44 AM nix via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 2/7/23 01:32, ais523 via agora-discussion wrote:
> > Using a rule for an unintended purpose is a form of scamming, and thus
> > I think it's normally fair play in counter-scamming.
> >
> > However, a) we've had some new players join recently, and starting even
> > a very little Festival can mess things up for those players (although
> > this is mitigated somewhat by the way White Ribbons work); b) economic
> > dominance of the voting process is an entirely legitimate, non-scam way
> > to get Black Ribbons (as an alternative method for obtaining them, for
> > people who are bad at scams) – it was originally envisaged as buying
> > votes, but I think this might count too. The original idea was always
> > "do scam or buy votes", and I'm not sure whether using counterscams is
> > entirely "legitimate" when the thing you're trying to stop isn't really
> > a scam.
> >
> > As such, I'm not personally planning to support this intent.
>
> I'm pretty much in the same school of thought as ais523.
>
> As far as I can tell, this would lock Aced7, Marb, the Astrally Forged,
> and tb148 out. Aced7 and Marb were likely dead on arrival registrations,
> the Astrally Forged set emself to inactive in December. tb148 *just*
> registered, however, and I'm hopeful they participate. I have a hard
> time justifying locking even a single person out for 2 weeks for a scam
> they're not involved in.
>
> --
> nix
> Herald, Collector

Firstly, any player can become involved in this rank 1 festival by earning
a ribbon
(such as a white or a cyan), so they aren't exactly locked out.
Secondly, this doesn't appear to be a scam to me:
a new player would not know that festivals are not normal gameplay,
and are to be only used for invasions: this is historical precedent, sure,
but
new players don't know that. For example, I didn't know this either.
Thirdly, tb148 comes from Infinite Nomic, and historically, they've
participated
primarily in subgames and only some of the voting. tb148 would not be
locked out
of those subgames due to the festival, but would be locked out of ribbons
for a couple
weeks.

However, as that is a strong assumption of their character, I'd be
extremely receptive to
withdrawing support for the festival if tb148 were to object.
--
4st