On Sun, 2023-03-19 at 11:40 -0700, Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-
discussion wrote:
> On Thursday, March 16, 2023, Janet Cobb wrote:
> > Don't use a "MUST" to impose effectiveness requirements upon an
> > action.
> - Unfortunately this isn't evident to me either. Why?

If the requirements aren't met, the message has broken the rules (as
opposed to the person who sent the message). It's hard to prosecute a
message for rule-breaking and it probably wouldn't do anything useful.

You want phrasing along the lines of "is INEFFECTIVE unless it" in
order to cause the message to do nothing, as opposed to causing the
message to break the rules.

See rule 2152 for definitions of the various capitalised terminology we
use in our rules.

--
ais523