On 5/1/23 04:27, Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-discussion wrote:
> I had in mind to work together with the Promotor to make the Google Sheet
> that outputs which Proposal passes or not much more accurate, as well as do
> some more Google Sheet magic to make it output a good chunk of the
> Assessor's report automatically into a cell in that spreadsheet.
>
> This would make deputising a lot easier since a lot of the work is already
> done by the spreadsheet or would be otherwise just be color-by-the-numbers,
> as well as make anyone wanting to improve on that system pretty easy
> because of how newbie-friendly Google Sheet formulas as a coding language
> is.
>
> I just didn't announce anything of the sort at the time nor did I
> campaign because I didn't see anyone else doing it. I had no idea.

So, just to put it on list, there are a few reasons I haven't touched
the spreadsheets at all.

First, on principle, I don't like the use of anything involving Google
Drive for Agora (or any nomic really) because it's not controlled by us
and difficult to automatically archive. If I'm putting in work to
support an office, I want it to be in something I control.

Second, at least with my workflow, doing anything with the spreadsheet
would be extra effort to me for no gain. Unless the spreadsheet is
absolutely perfect (and, I think anything approaching that would be
unwieldy and not "newbie-friendly" at all; I've certainly done some
spreadsheet crimes before), I would still have to do all of the same
work as I currently do, so updating the spreadsheet with my own votes or
anybody else's would just be duplicating effort.

Third, I can't use the spreadsheet because I can't trust it. Someone
could forget to update it, or someone could update it after casting
invalid votes, or several other things could go wrong. I still have to
double check anything. I also keep links to all of the relevant messages
in commit messages [0], so I have to pull up the original messages (and
even if people did put those links in the spreadsheet, it just goes back
to "I can't trust it"). The existence of the spreadsheets doesn't save
me any time.

[0]:
https://github.com/AgoraNomic/assessor/commit/daa96064875e3485cc0c9b9c49b7d0f453adcda6

--