On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 12:46 PM Janet Cobb via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On 5/14/23 15:40, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion wrote:
> > On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 3:10 AM Yachay Wayllukuq via agora-discussion
> > <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
> >> Hm. If we're trying to go the other way and make it as quick as possible,
> >> we could have the Arbitor's weekly report include a randomly selected
> >> "Dredd" Judge for that week (with some Dredds on the bench if the current
> >> Dredd themselves is being accused) that can simultaneously once a crime is
> >> noted: post a proper investigation, assign judgement and penalize
> >> immediately; with a window for appeals open afterwards that is able to undo
> >> whatever penalty was initially applied.
> >>
> >> It's probably not the best solution, but it would cut it down from 5 weeks
> >> to 1 week + 1 to possibly appeal.
> > Suggestion that is a minimal modification from current system: Instead
> > of the odd "no Investigator's duties exist unless the crime happened"
> > method, simply state that the investigator must (in timely fashion)
> > make a self-ratifying statement as to whether there was a crime or not
> > (and create blots/other punishment if there was a crime).  Also,
> > further clarify that if the investigator gives eir reasons for the
> > findings in good faith (suggested theme: the Investigator has a week
> > to Assemble the Suspects in the Drawing Room), it's basically a "best
> > guess" and e can't be punished if e's wrong.  Then, any doubters
> > (including the Referee) can just use CoEs, and the procedure follows
> > the regular "create or refer to a CFJ to resolve the matter" process.
> >
> > -G.
>

> Mechanically I think it'd be better to only ratify statements when blots
> are created (and even then, ratify that the blots were effectively
> created rather than a statement about the underlying crime)? Not sure I
> see the point in ratifying that no crime occurred (and that might have
> unwanted effects).

Makes sense.   Also, since you explained that part of the purpose of
your proto was for cases that might go outside the rules-recommended
penalty range, maybe using some form of the full Criminal Court would
work in place of where "indictments" used to be?  (that could be a
proposal independent of this particular fix).  Whatever the failings
of the old criminal courts, it seems better than the "vote on
indictments" method for big things.