On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 10:36 AM Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 4:44 AM juan via agora-discussion
> <agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
> Note that the "free choice" is qualified by the need to "pick em out
> in the full range of Agoran contexts".  The Scroll, in particular, is
> a living document, and the original Blob has several entries - it
> would be equally rude to the original Blob to change eir name notation
> in the Scroll and other historical documents, to disambiguate em from
> an entirely new player.  So we need to balance that, hopefully in a
> friendly way.  I'll also note that the original Blob turned up for
> Agora's 20th anniversary (and earned an Agora XX badge), and there's a
> slight change with the 30th coming up...
>
> Of course, the easiest way to come to consensus (and the nicest, least
> rude solution) is to go by what the person wants.  But in the case
> where it produces a confusing nickname, we can ask (very nicely) the
> new player to choose something that's unambiguous[0]. There's been
> several of those sorts of conversations with new players over the
> years, and in all cases so far the new player has voluntarily modified
> their nickname.  But if e fails to do that, each officer would need to
> come to their own conclusion which could get a little messy.

I, being the new player, totally agree with this. I would be more than
willing to put some sort of marker in front of my name, as others in the
past have done. How should I go about changing my name--or how have others
in the past done it?