On Sat, Nov 18, 2023 at 10:50 AM ais523 via agora-discussion <
agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> Here are some thoughts about a new economy that I've been thinking
> about. These would ideally work in tandem with existing subgames /
> other subgames that other players might propose / other economies that
> other players might propose, rather than being a replacement.
>
> This is just a sketch, so it doesn't contain enactment language,
> Powers, etc.. yet (what would be a good power for the rules in
> question? is this the correct spelling of Jeweller in Agoran English?)
>
> I've tried to choose the timings of the various Gem awards to be easy
> for the officers in question (generally the timings are set up so that
> they could be performed at the same as the time at which the officer
> would be performing actions anyway). It is possible that this is too
> slow in some cases (e.g. potentially having to wait a month for the
> Tailor's report to gain Achievement Gems).
>
> I'd be interested on feedback both on the general concept and on the
> details. The basic idea is to award Gems in various categories for
> various different aspects of Agoran gameplay, which are used to buy
> Purchase Packs whose prices vary randomly each month, meaning that
> different aspects of the game randomly become more relevant from month
> to month. Gems are sort-of grindable over time, but decay slowly if not
> used, and can be converted to fast-decaying Score Stars, or non-
> decaying Stamps, or various other things. Some Purchase Packs are more
> valuable than others, but each can only be bought once per player per
> month.
>

> Gems
>
> The Jeweller is an office, and the recordkeepor of each type of Gem.
> Gems are a category of assets ownable by players and contracts. Each
> type of Gem is a currency, and has an associated office; the following
> list specifies the types of Gem, their associated offices, and one or
> more mechanisms for gaining each type of Gem (but other rules may
> specify additional methods to gain Gems).
>
> * Duty Gem (ADoP): As part of eir weekly duties, the ADoP SHALL, and
> CAN by announcement, grant each player a number of gems equal to twice
> the total complexity of the offices e holds.
>
> * Decision Gem (Arbitor): As part of eir weekly duties, the Arbitor
> SHALL, and CAN by announcement, grant a number of Decision Gems to each
> player equal to 4 times the number of CFJs that player judged in the
> previous week (except that e NEED NOT grant gems for a CFJ if the judge
> exceeded the time limit to judge it).

A simple improvement would be to make this (4 if e did judge a cfj) instead
of (4 for each cfj judged) so cfjs dont get spammed. Also deals with the
issue of linked cfjs.

> * Democracy Gem (Assessor): As part of eir weekly duties, the Assessor
> SHALL, and CAN by announcement, award 3 Change Gems to each player who
> voted FOR on at least half the referenda that were resolved that week;
> and SHALL NOT resolve referenda for the rest of the week after doing
> so.

This should be based on votes at the end of the voting period (automatic),
instead of votes at the resolution (manual), to avoid any assessor
tomfoolery (though i trust our current assessor would never do such a thing)

> * Trade Gem (Collector): Trade Participation is an untracked negative
> boolean player switch. When a player pays a Stamp of another player's
> type to perform an action defined in the rule "Stamps", eir Trade
> Participation becomes True. As part of eir weekly duties, the Collector
> SHALL, and CAN by announcement, grant each player whose Trade
> Participation is True 3 Trade Gems; such a grant causes the player's
> Trade Participation to become False.
>

> * Vision Gem (Dream Keeper): As part of eir weekly duties, the Dream
> Keepor SHALL, and CAN by announcement, award 5 Vision Gems to each
> Mining Dreamer. [With rule 2675 amended to add the new Dream.]
>
> * Triumph Gem (Herald): Whenever a player wins the game, the Herald CAN
> once by announcement, and SHALL within one month, grant em 25 Triumph
> Gems.  Whenever a player gains a Patent Title other than Champion, the
> Herald CAN once by announcement, and SHALL within one month, grant em
> 10 Triumph Gems.
>
> * Conspire Gem (Notary): As part of eir monthly duties, the Notary
> SHALL, and CAN by announcement, grant 35 Conspire Gems to each Group
> which has, or is tied for, the most, second-most or third-most parties.
> [With the rules amended to define a Group, which is a special case of a
> contract, designed so that each player can only be part of one Group at
> a time.]

That's a lot of gems. 105 a month?

> * Idea Gem (Promotor): Proposal Participation is an untracked negative
> boolean player switch. Whenever the Promotor distributes a proposal,
> the Proposal Participation of its author and coauthors becomes True. At
> the end of each week, the Proposal Participation of all players becomes
> False. When a player's Proposal Participation becomes true, the
> Promotor CAN once by announcement, and SHALL before it becomes false,
> grant 3 Idea Gems to that player.

This is a crime generator, if you submit proposals right before the end of
the week. best not do that. Also this might give the promotor too much
power over idea gems

> * Clean Gem (Referee); As part of eir weekly duties, the Referee SHALL,
> and CAN by announcement, grant 2 Clean Gems to each player who does not
> have Blots.

we SHOULD NOT gamify blots. I recommend removing this one. All the others
seem pretty fun, though

> * Activity Gem (Registrar): As part of eir weekly duties, the Registrar
> SHALL, and CAN by announcement, grant 2 Activity Gems to each active
> player. [Perhaps Welcome Packages should contain lots of these, and
> smaller amounts of the other types of gem.]
>
> * Change Gem (Rulekeepor): Whenever a proposal (other than a
> disinterested proposal) takes effect and enacts, repeals, or changes a
> substantive aspect of at least one rule, the Rulekeepor CAN once by
> announcement, and SHALL in a timely fashion, grant 4 Change Gems to its
> author. ["Disinterested" originally undefined but we can add it back
> into the rules if people start voting down bugfixes despite the
> Democracy Gem.]
>
> * Gardening Gem (Stonemason): As part of eir weekly duties, the
> Stonemason SHALL, and CAN by announcement, grant 3 Gardening Gems to
> each player who reached for a stone during the previous week.

Maybe make this owning a stone instead? Otherwise it's quite easy, except
when all the stones are held.

> * Achievement Gem (Tailor): Whenever one of a player's Ribbon Ownership
> switches flips from False to True, the Tailor CAN once by announcement,
> and SHALL within one month, award that player 9 Achievement Gems.
>
> When performing a duty to grant gems, an officer SHALL specify how many
> gems are gained by each player who gains gems. If this rule would
> require an officer to grant a player 0 Gems, this requirement is
> ignored and the officer NEED NOT perform (or attempt to perform) it.
>

> The Gem Market
>
> The following Purchase Packs exist:
>
> * A Power Pack. A player's voting strength on an ordinary proposal is
> increased by 2 if e bought a Power Pack during the preceding month.
> [This could do with being tracked somehow – unclear what the best way
> to track this is. The Assessor currently has to mention it when
> resolving proposals; is that enough?]
>
> * A Stamp Pack. When a player buys a Stamp Pack, e is granted 5 Stamps
> of eir own type.
>
> * A Forgiveness Pack. A player who has bought a Forgiveness Pack during
> the current month CAN revoke a blot from any player (including emself)
> by announcement, subject to the restriction that no player can perform
> this action by this mechanism more than 6 times per month. The
> Referee's weekly report contains a list of players who have bought
> Forgiveness Packs in the current month, and the number of times that
> those players can still perform this action this month.

Not sure we should have this when we already have weekly expunging powers.
And if it's a choice between them, I like the current system.

> * A Small Victory Pack. When a player buys a Small Victory Pack, e is
> granted 1 Score Star.
>
> * A Large Victory Pack. When a player buys a Large Victory Pack, e is
> granted 2 Score Stars.
>
> Pack Price is an Purchase Pack switch, tracked by the Jeweller, whose
> possible values are "unavailable" (the default) and all lists of (Gem
> type, positive integer) pairs. In a timely fashion after the start of
> each month, the Jeweller SHALL, and CAN by announcement, flip the Pack
> Price of each Purchase Pack to [(A, 12), (B, 10), (C, 8), (D, 6)]
> (where, for each Purchase Pack, A, B, C, D are types of Gem, chosen
> randomly subject to the restriction that the same type of Gem is not
> chosen twice for any given Purchase Pack; the same type of Gem can
> however be chosen for two different Purchase Packs). Upon doing so, for
> each type of Gem, 1 Gem of that type is revoked from each entity who
> owns at least one Gem of that type.
>
> Each player CAN buy a Purchase Pack that is not unavailable by
> spending, for each (Gem type, integer) pair in its Pack Price, that
> many gems of that type, subject to the restriction that no player CAN
> buy any given Purchase Pack if e has already bought that Purchase Pack
> that month. (For example, if a Purchase Pack's Pack Price is [(Idea,
> 1), (Clean, 2)], a player CAN buy that Purchase Pack by spending 1 Idea
> Gem and 2 Clean Gems, unless e has already done so that month.)
>

> Score Stars
>
> Score Stars are type of a fixed asset, tracked by the Jeweller.
> Ownership of Score Stars is restricted to players.
>
> If a player has more Score Stars than any other player, and the
> Boulder's Height is 50 or more, that player CAN Score eir Stars by
> announcement. This causes that person to win the game. When a player
> wins the game by doing so, all Score Stars are destroyed and the
> Boulder's Height is set to 0.

Nooo don't set the boulder height to 0!!!! :(

Very cool to use the boulder though, but might i suggest making a gem for
pushing the boulder instead?

Also please make this "each other player" instead of "any" to be more
unambiguous.

All in all this is a pretty nice idea! Although it adds more officer work,
it offers a lot of depth in return for what's hopefully not too much effort
in practice. Tracking all the gems is going to be rough, but trading them
will be fun.

I'm FOR this idea, though I think it'll get even more fun as we tweak it
and add twists.
--
snail