> On Feb 11, 2024, at 8:13 PM, Maloney Agora via agora-business
> <agora-busin...@agoranomic.org> wrote:
>
> I'm leaving the other one up. Fuck you. I propose the following proposal.
>
> Name: Ambiguity Amendment
> Author: Maloney
> ID: 3

Dearest Maloney, as the Promotor It's my duty to distribute all proposals that
are submitted. I wish I'd seen the potential ambiguity of the Radiance Day
proposal and warned you beforehand of agora's strict tendencies, but what's
done is done. We'll have to discuss if it worked or not (it seems like it
didn't because it's such a ridiculously high standard for rule changes) but
what I can say for certain is that these last two proposals wouldn't have the
effect you want, because you list "ID: 3" instead of "AI: 3" (Adoption Index).
So I humbly request you withdraw the proposals, as to reduce my workload and
the bloating of the archives.

But a more serious issue: "Ambiguity which would reasonably alter the function
of a rule change or
cause reasonable doubt that a rule change is being made causes that change
to be void and without effect." is the new text you desire, but it would still
prevent the original proposal you made from taking effect. The issue is that
there could be reasonable doubt that a rule change would have been made, as
rules are not the only thing that could be enacted.

Aris has proposed an even lighter standard: "if it would be clear to any
reasonable player, it is not ambiguous."

This would let your original proposal work, so i think it's a more appropriate
fix.

If you'd like to propose a different fix because you see another issue, please
do! but please withdraw the current proposals in either case since they wont
work, and specify the adoption index as 3 so it will have enough Power to work
in any new proposals that affect Power 3 rules.

Agora is cool and all but you first have to get past the hurdle of knowing and
using the language, which is tough to do. It sucks messing up and seeing other
people mess up, although sometimes it causes interesting meases. But if we want
good gameplay we have to know how to ease the learning process. Personally,
whenever i want to do any action, i just copy exactly what the ruleset says.
(Unless it's something unimportant like pushing the boulder). If you use the
words the rules do, it'd be pretty hard for anything to be ambiguous. Plus then
you'll actually be reading the rules which can help in understanding
strategies, and loopholes.

I'm sorry you had to have the rug pulled out from under you. It sucks when it
happens, and it happens every so often here, but it gets easier to avoid
mistakes as you play and learn. So please keep trying! I look forward to seeing
more proposals from you and (hopefully) helping you if i see any issues or
improvements to be made. :D (and i'm sure others will try and do the same,
because i really dont want to distribute proposals that don't do anything agora

--
snail