status: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/#3886
(This document is informational only and contains no game actions).

===============================  CFJ 3886  ===============================

      The Bank currently owns 1 coin.

Caller:                        ATMunn

Judge:                         Gaelan
Judgement:                     FALSE

History:

Called by ATMunn:                                 09 Oct 2020 08:12:36
Assigned to Gaelan:                               09 Oct 2020 17:48:10
Judged FALSE by Gaelan:                           21 Oct 2020 16:05:58

Caller's Evidence:

(from
https://mailman.agoranomic.org/cgi-bin/mailman/private/agora-discussion/2020-October/060335.html)

On 10/8/2020 9:21 PM, ATMunn via agora-discussion wrote:
> I intend for this message to be a public message.
>
> I transfer 1 coin to the contract known as The Bank.

Caller's Arguments:

Arguments FOR: Though the message was not sent to a public forum, it was
almost certainly sent to all players, and it contained a clear designation
of intent to be public.

Arguments AGAINST: It may be hard to prove that all players are subscribed
to the agora-discussion list. Additionally, since the list's Publicity is
Discussion, it would logically follow that it is *only* for discussion and
no public messages can be sent.

Gratuitous Arguments by Gaelan:

We discussed this in August, and when I checked, there was one player who
was not subscribed to DIS. (So this would be ineffective, because while
there's an assumption that everyone gets messages sent to public fora, for
something like this you need to actually meet the standard of sending to
all players.)

Judge Gaelan's Arguments:

478/38, in part: {
A public message is a message sent via a public forum, or sent to all
players and containing a clear designation of intent to be public. A rule
can also designate that a part of one public message is considered a
public message in its own right. To "publish" or "announce" something is
to send a public message whose body contains that thing. To do something
"publicly" is to do that thing within a public message.

Where the rules define an action that a person CAN perform "by
announcement", that person performs that action by unambiguously and
clearly specifying the action and announcing that e performs it. Any
action performed by sending a message is performed at the time
date-stamped on that message. Actions in messages (including sub-messages)
are performed in the order they appear in the message, unless otherwise
specified.
}

The message in question attempted to use the "sent to all players and
containing a clear designation of intent to be public" clause to send a
public message via DIS. Of course, for this to work, the message actually
has to have been sent to all players. This isn't clearly the case; Tyler,
a current player, does not appear in the public member list for DIS. While
it's possible that e is one of the 5 non-public subscribers, or e
subscribed using a different email address from the one known to the
Registrar, this seems unlikely. Performing an action by announcement
requires a player "unambiguously and clearly […] announcing that e
performs it". Because "announce" means "send a public message", and it's
not at all clear this message was public, ATMunn's action was not
unambiguously announced. Therefore, it doesn't meet the standard for a
by-announcement action.

(If Tyler were subscribed to DIS, this becomes iffier; G. would like that
still not to count, and needing to check who's subscribed to DIS arguably
makes it ambiguous enough. Nevertheless, I'll leave that issue for a
future judge to decide iff it comes up.)

Treasuror reports show The Bank as having no other assets, and there have
been no other recent transactions involving The Bank.

I rule FALSE.