The below CFJ is 4044.  I assign it to 4st.

status: https://faculty.washington.edu/kerim/nomic/cases/#4044

===============================  CFJ 4044  ===============================

      On or about 2023-06-12, G. won the game.

Caller:                        Janet

Judge:                         4st

History:

Called by Janet:                                  23 Jun 2023 16:28:37
Assigned to 4st:                                  [now]

Caller's Arguments:

This comes down to whether P8988 (adopted without dispute) affected the
continuity of previous "signatures". I argue that, after it took affect,
nobody had "signed" a rice plan. "Sign"ing, in the new text, is a
specific by action performed by announcement that necessarily could not
have been performed before the proposal was adopted. The condition of
"having signed" a rice plan is evaluated continuously, and must
therefore always use the current definition in force.

Even if redefining the action could allow continuity with some previous
action, Judge ais523 found in CFJ 4032 that "consent" to Rice Plans was
not a specific action, but a continuous state to be evaluated using
either natural-language standards of consent or an adaptation of R2519,
yielding similar results, but in neither case requiring a regulated
action of any form.

R1586 ("Definition and Continuity of Entities") is irrelevant. Rice
Plans are clearly continuous, but "signatures" are not entities under
either the current or former version of the rule.

Caller's Evidence:

ID: 8988
Title: Rice rewrite
Adoption index: 1.0
Author: Janet
Co-authors: snail

Amend the rule entitled "The Rice Game" to read, in whole:
{
The Ricemastor is an office.

Rice is a fixed asset tracked by the Ricemastor, with ownership wholly
restricted to players. If a rice would otherwise be in abeyance or is
owned by the Lost and Found Department, it is destroyed.

An active player CAN create a rice plan by announcement once per week,
specifying two sets of players (the rice up set and the rice down set).
When a rice plan is harvested, each active player in the rice up set
gains one rice, then one rice is revoked from each player in the rice
down set (if e has any). The Ricemastor's weekly report includes a list
of rice plans. The creator of a rice plan CAN by announcement destroy
it, thereby causing it to cease to be a rice plan.

An active player CAN by announcement sign a specified rice plan. An
active player's signature is on a rice plan if e has signed it or if a
contract e is party to clearly and unambiguously states that eir
signature is on it. The Ricemastor's weekly report includes, for each
rice plan, a list of players with signatures on it.

A harvest occurs at the beginning of each week. When a harvest occurs,
the following happen in order:
* The rice plan with the most signatures (breaking ties in favor of the
earliest created), if any, is harvested.
* All rice plans are destroyed.

Immediately after a harvest, if a single active player has at least 2
rice and more rice than any other player, e wins the game, then all rice
and rice plans are destroyed. If the game has been won in this manner
three times, this rule immediately repeals itself.
}

[
Changes:
- Generally cleaned up wording
- Handle rice at Lost and Found
- Harvesting a plan now grants rice before revoking (handling the case
where a person is in both the up and down sets)
- Use "CAN" for enabling
- Use a by announcement action or contract for signatures, rather than
"consent"
- Added a clarity requirement for contract-based signatures
- Removed Fancy Caps
]

Rule 2682/0 (Power=1)
The Rice Game

      The Ricemastor is an office, in charge of tracking Rice, Rice
      Plans and Signatures. Rice is a fixed asset, ownable only by
      players. Any active player can create a Rice Plan by announcement,
      if e hasn't done so yet in the current week. Rice Plans can have
      Signatures, and each Signature must be of an active player. A Rice
      Plan has an active player's Signature as long as that player is
      consenting to it. An active player can destroy a Rice Plan that e
      has created by announcement.

      A Harvest occurs at the beginning of each week. When this occurs:
      - If there is only one Rice Plan with the most Signatures, that
        Rice Plan is Harvested.
      - If there is more than one Rice Plan with the most Signatures,
        the one that was created earliest is Harvested.
      - In all other cases, nothing happens.
      And then all Rice Plans are destroyed and the Harvest ends.

      Rice Plans consist of two lists of players, with each list having
      no repeated players, and the lists can be empty. One of these
      lists is its Rice Up list, and the other is its Rice Down list.
      When a Rice Plan is Harvested, for each player listed in its Rice
      Up list, if that player is active, e gains 1 Rice; and for each
      player listed in its Rice Down list, if e has at least 1 Rice then
      e lose 1 Rice.

      If after a Harvest there is a single active player with at least 2
      Rice and more Rice than any other player, then that player wins
      the game, and all Rice is destroyed. When the game has been won in
      this manner three times, this rule repeals itself.

Rule 2682/1 (Power=1)
[...]

[R2682/1 did not appear in any published ruleset. The purported R2682/2
did (under the incorrect belief that P8989 took effect), which differs
from R2682/1 only in saying "at least 5 rice" in the final paragraph.

Gratuitous Arguments by G.:

"Sign" is not an arbitrary word, but a word with a common definition
in the context of documents (or document-like things such as Rice
Plans).  A perfectly common and natural definition of "signing" a
thing is to add one's signature to the thing.  In adjudicating Rule
2682/0 in CFJ 4032, before "sign" was explicitly in that rule, Judge
ais523 literally uses the term as a direct and specific synonym for
adding a signature to a plan under the old rule:

> "a Rice Plan has X's signature" is a synonym for "X is consenting to
> {the Rice Plan / the Rice Plan being signed}"

Signatures were added to the plans in question under R2682/0 and not
removed, so the plans were "signed" by common and obvious definition
at the time of the change from R2682/0 to R2682/1.  So when this text
came into effect:

> An active player's signature is on a rice plan if e has signed it

The fact that those plans had been signed remained true under the new
rule as well as the old (there was never a moment when it wasn't true,
during that transition).