Financial Reform 101

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Published: April 1, 2010

Let’s face it: Financial reform is a hard issue to follow. It’s not like health
reform, which was fairly straightforward once you cut through the nonsense.
Reasonable people can and do disagree about exactly what we should do to avert
another banking crisis.

So here’s a brief guide to the debate — and an explanation of my own position.

Leave on one side those who don’t really want any reform at all, a group that
includes most Republican members of Congress. Whatever such people may say,
they will always find reasons to say no to any actual proposal to rein in
runaway bankers.

Even among those who really do want reform, however, there’s a major debate
about what’s really essential. One side — exemplified by Paul Volcker, the
redoubtable former Federal Reserve chairman — sees limiting the size and scope
of the biggest banks as the core issue in reform. The other side — a group that
includes yours truly — disagrees, and argues that the important thing is to
regulate what banks do, not how big they get.

It’s easy to see where concerns about banks that are “too big to fail” come
from. In the face of financial crisis, the U.S. government provided cash and
guarantees to financial institutions whose failure, it feared, might bring down
the whole system. And the rescue operation was mainly focused on a handful of
big players: A.I.G., Citigroup, Bank of America, and so on.

This rescue was necessary, but it put taxpayers on the hook for potentially
large losses. And it also established a dangerous precedent: big financial
institutions, we now know, will be bailed out in times of crisis. And this,
it’s argued, will encourage even riskier behavior in the future, since
executives at big banks will know that it’s heads they win, tails taxpayers
lose.

The solution, say people like Mr. Volcker, is to break big financial
institutions into units that aren’t too big to fail, making future bailouts
unnecessary and restoring market discipline.

It’s a convincing-sounding argument, but I’m one of those people who doesn’t
buy it.

Here’s how I see it. Breaking up big banks wouldn’t really solve our problems,
because it’s perfectly possible to have a financial crisis that mainly takes
the form of a run on smaller institutions. In fact, that’s precisely what
happened in the 1930s, when most of the banks that collapsed were relatively
small — small enough that the Federal Reserve believed that it was O.K. to let
them fail. As it turned out, the Fed was dead wrong: the wave of small-bank
failures was a catastrophe for the wider economy.

The same would be true today. Breaking up big financial institutions wouldn’t
prevent future crises, nor would it eliminate the need for bailouts when those
crises happen. The next bailout wouldn’t be concentrated on a few big companies
— but it would be a bailout all the same. I don’t have any love for financial
giants, but I just don’t believe that breaking them up solves the key problem.

So what’s the alternative to breaking up big financial institutions? The
answer, I’d argue, is to update and extend old-fashioned bank regulation.

After all, the U.S. banking system had a long period of stability after World
War II, based on a combination of deposit insurance, which eliminated the
threat of bank runs, and strict regulation of bank balance sheets, including
both limits on risky lending and limits on leverage, the extent to which banks
were allowed to finance investments with borrowed funds. And Canada — whose
financial system is dominated by a handful of big banks, but which maintained
effective regulation — has weathered the current crisis notably well.

What ended the era of U.S. stability was the rise of “shadow banking”:
institutions that carried out banking functions but operated without a safety
net and with minimal regulation. In particular, many businesses began parking
their cash, not in bank deposits, but in “repo” — overnight loans to the likes
of Lehman Brothers. Unfortunately, repo wasn’t protected and regulated like
old-fashioned banking, so it was vulnerable to a pre-1930s-type crisis of
confidence. And that, in a nutshell, is what went wrong in 2007-2008.

So why not update traditional regulation to encompass the shadow banks? We
already have an implicit form of deposit insurance: It’s clear that creditors
of shadow banks will be bailed out in time of crisis. What we need now are two
things: (a) regulators need the authority to seize failing shadow banks, the
way the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation already has the authority to
seize failing conventional banks, and (b) there have to be prudential limits on
shadow banks, above all limits on their leverage.

Does the reform legislation currently on the table do what’s needed? Well, it’s
a step in the right direction — but it’s not a big enough step. I’ll explain
why in a future column.

** Paul Krugman is Professor of Economics and International Affairs at the
Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Princeton
University, Centenary Professor at the London School of Economics, and an op-ed
columnist for The New York Times. In 2008, Krugman won the Nobel Memorial Prize
in Economics for his contributions to New Trade Theory and New Economic
Geography. He was voted sixth in Prospect Magazine's 2005 global poll of the
world's top 100 intellectuals.

Sent from my BlackBerry®