Dear philosophers,

of the order of the dwarf.
>   Prediction intervals have no meaning.

>   Suppose that ordinary kriging predicts that I am a dwarf (or giant)
>   with the height H.
>   be small (it means that predicted value "comes from" the tail of
>   distribution not that estimation is "good").

Predition intervals are defined as random intervals (random because data
dependent) containing the unkown but true value with a given high
probability.

So any prediction method can predict an intervall of small values altough the
value is high. However it is quite improbabile, that the true value is not
contained in the prediction intervall.
And to me this is a nice meaning of a prediction interval.

And at least for Gaussian fields we can prove: Conditioned on what ever height
you have, the conditional probability that your height is in the predictive
intervall is 95%.

The true problem about prediction intervals with kriging is that they depend
on the variogram (which is estimated and might be wrong) and do not model
local heteroskedastisity of the process, if we forgot to model it (e.g. by
failing to do lognormal approaches) and do not model deviations from
normality, when we apply the most simple methods (e.g. when we forget to
model that e.g. by histogram reproduction).

So, my conclusion is that we should invest more in thinking on our own models
and applications, rather than blaming the most simple model  (e.g. ordinary
kriging) for beeing simplicistic.

Best regards,
Gerald v.d. Boogaart

Am Donnerstag, 5. Oktober 2006 15:40 schrieb tom andrews:
> Dear Mario
>
>   I agree with You.
>
>   Suppose that ordinary kriging predicts that I am a dwarf (or giant)
>   with the height H.
>   Since for e.g. gaussian distribution holds
>   P(H)=0
>   we have to introduce
>   P(H - s < h < H + s) = p
>   where s is a square root of kriging variance and p is an area under
>   the gaussian curve for the interval (H-s,H+s) in its tail.
>   Knowing a total area under the curve we can compute probability.
>   No matter, am I a dwarf or not, the probability of being a dwarf
>   (with some height tolerance) is not high so kriging variance will
>   be small (it means that predicted value "comes from" the tail of
>   distribution not that estimation is "good").
>   Prediction intervals have no meaning.
>

>   Suppose that ordinary kriging predicts that I have a mean height.
>   Now, kriging variance (minimized error variance) is the estimator of
>   variance of random variable (sigma^2) and reaches maximum.
>   Probability that I have a mean height +/- sigma is high and known
>   but it is only property of distribution of random variable.
>   Any prediction intervals have no meaning too.
>

>   Best Regards
>      tom
>

> ---------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business.

Prof. Dr. K. Gerald v.d. Boogaart
Professor als Juniorprofessor fuer Statistik
http://www.math-inf.uni-greifswald.de/statistik/

B�ro: Franz-Mehring-Str. 48, 1.Etage rechts
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone:  00+49 (0)3834/86-4621
fax:    00+49 (0)3834/86-4615   (Institut)

paper-mail:
Ernst-Moritz-Arndt-Universitaet Greifswald
Institut f�r Mathematik und Informatik
Jahnstr. 15a
17487 Greifswald
Germany