Dear Jason,

I saw few replies to your question and I can imagine you are
a bit lost with these technical terms that are not documented in
Arc/Info's manual.

Versions younger than Arc/Info 8.0 (which has a brand new geostatistical
module) are almost useless for what concerns geostatistics.
More than the estimation algorithm (ordinary
kriging, universal kriging, etc.), it is the analysis and the
modelisation of the spatial correlation which is essential. Since
you can't properly make a decent semivariogram analysis
and since the fitting of the semivariogram is automatic (almost any
geostatistician will tell you to fit your model manually or at least to
have a full control on the parameters you select) in Arc/Info 7, you can
almost forget it ! Three years ago I developed in AML an interface between
UNCERT (see my AI-GEOSTATS web pages for more info) and Arc/Info 7.0.  There
is unfortunately nothing left from the code since I left the
place where I developed it but I'm sure many people on the list
did something similar (with UNCERT, Gstat, GSLIB or the UNIX version of GeoEas
for exemple).

I'm sorry for the bad news but making a spatial interpolation, especially
when you plan to use geostatistical methods, requires some experience from
the users (and this is a radiobiologist that is talking, not a statistician)

Hope this helps a bit,

Gregoire

PS: may I suggest you to download Geoeas (+ manual) and play around with the
semivariograms to better realise how limited the functions are in
Arc/Info 7.

Jason Sawle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> This is my first time on the list and I hope this question is going to
> the right place. My appologies if not.
>
> I am using Arc/Info 7.2.1 on an NT workstation.
> With GRID I am using linear universal kriging to produce maps of heavy
> metal concentration from 127 sample points.
>
> Could anyone tell me what c0 and b mean. These appear at the start of
> the interpolation proceedure. I have values of 0 and 11580.591
> respectively and I am unsure of what they imply about this method.
>
> Thanks for your time with this.
>
> Jason Sawle
>
> ###############################################################
> Department of Geography
> Canterbury Christ Church University College
> North Holmes Road,
> Canterbury,                         Tel: 01227 782337
> Kent,                               Fax: 01227 767531
> CT1 1QU,                            email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> United Kingdom                      http://www.cant.ac.uk
>

> --
any useful responses to your questions.

Gregoire Dubois