I´m doing my diploma thesis on the spatial distribution of weeds and I´m an absolute beginner with geostatistics. Please take that into account when reading my question.

My data are weed counts with excess zeros and fit a negative binomial distribution. But as far as I know semivariagram modelling can only be done with a more or less gaussian distribution. If yes, has anybody an idea how to transform negative binomial data to get a gaussian distribution? I would be very pleased if anybody of you could give me at least a tip how to solve this problem or maybe you can recommend some literature.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Regards,
Sibylle