Dear Maureen,

I have dealt with the same problem.  The basic approach is to transform
your coordinates as Warren suggested.  If you only have one measurement
per transect, than it is as simple as working with distance from a set
point such as the last or first sampling point, and your variogram and
kriging is one-dimensional.  If you need a 2-dimensional transformation,
than it gets much more complicated.  There are different approaches
possible, such as normalizing to distance from one bank or from the
center of flow.  Then, regardless of how wide the stream is, two points
1/3 of the way into the stream will have the same lateral coordinates. You
also have to account for angles to the bank or center line.

I used a grid generation approach in my case.  You can use commercial
software or write your own code.  I settled for the latter, the commercial
software (Gridgen from Pointwise) is for much more complicated problems.

Look at this reference for a general description:
Barabas N, Goovaerts P, Adriaens P (2001) Geostatistical Assessment and
Validation of Uncertainty for Three-Dimensional Dioxin Data from Seidments
in an Estuarine River. Environ. Sci. Technol. 35, 3294-3301.

Noemi
        Noemi Barabas

PhD Candidate
The University of Michigan
Dept. Civil and Environmental Engineering
1351 Beal Avenue (13 EWRE)
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2125
Phone: (734) 615-5905