From: Gregoire Dubois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Peter Pinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [AI-GEOSTATS: Deterministic vs. Stochastic Interpolation Comparison]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 16:23:25 +0200

Peter,

the RMSE is not THE measure of cross-validation... it is only one of the
possible statistics of the errors you can use. Fundamentaly, what you get from
cross-validations is a set of estimated values that can be compared to the
input data. Hence, you can use various statistics of the errors (error =
observed - estimated value): the RMSE, the MAE (mean absolute error), the
correlation coefficient between observed values and estimates... you can also
focus on the highest values only.

You have to define the criteria that will quantify the "performance" of the
interpolators before doing any cross-validation. The RMSE is probably the
measure that is the most frequently used.

Surfer's (version 8 only) cross-validation function seems to work fine now
(see my posting in the archives about the bug I found a few months ago). You
have to update your original version to 8.2.

As you mention, a few deterministic interpolators do not allow extrapolations
(estimations outside the boundary defined by the convex hull), but many do
(IDW, polynomes,...).

I don't know what kind of variables you are analysing, but geometrical
interpolators (triangulations, thiessen polygons, nearest neighbours)
are almost never used for estimation purposes in environmental sciences,
unless you have very large data sets.

Gregoire

"Peter Pinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thank you all for the great replies to my questions. This helps very much.
>
> I was wondering whether or not there is a way to compare the performance of

> deterministic interpolation methods such as Linear Triangulation or Natural

> Neighbours to Kriging or IDW !? Is there a measure similar to the RMSE
> resulting from cross-validation ? (e.g. ESRIs Geostatistical Analyst does
> not use these methods, whereas SURFER applies a cross-validation that I do
> not really believe in !) I hope I am not totally wrong assuming that
> cross-validation does not really work fine in deterministic methods, because

> a extrapolation at edge sampling locations will not be computed...
>
> Thanks again :-)
>
> Peter

> --
any useful responses to your questions.