Ursula

> 5.5 x 20 metres
> Choosing a 5 metres lag, the variance
> values are too high in the first 3 -4 lags.
This is possibly because you have some competition
effect between orchids.

For a square grid, we usually recommend an interval
20% of the grid spacing, so you don't get diagonals
lumped in with 'straight' directions. This would
suggest that you should try a 1 metre lag, which is
probably overkill.

The other alternative is to construct directional
semi-variograms and specify the correct lag for each
direction, to see what differences you get.

> My second question is what is the difference between
> a variogram and a semivariogram ?
As a general rule a "variogram" is a semi-variogram
constructed by someone lax in their terminology. No
software I know calculates the true variogram (twice
the semi-variogram).

The correlogram is simply the semi-variogram upside
down and standardised to vary between -1 and +1. The
disadvantage of this approach (or the covariance
function is that it is difficult to assess the nugget
effect accurately.

You should be concerned about your variance as it
provides essential information about teh variability
of your phenomenon.

Isobel Clark
http://ecosse.ontheweb.com/whatsnew.htm