Hi Sean,

Your problem seems to bear some similarity with modeling of
river networks where meaningful distances cannot be defined
in the Euclidian space and downstream/upstream relationships
need to be fulfilled.
A few days ago, Pascal Monestiez from INRA Avignon gave a
talk on Geostatistical modelling of spatial processes on trees:
applications to drainage networks, which might be of interest
to you... and there should be other related papers in the literature.

Cheers,

Pierre

Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
President of PGeostat, LLC