Thanks for your suggestion. I am aware of the distance
software and the concepts behind it. In fact, i have
used in my doctoral studies to estimate density of
pheasants in the Himalaya. But the recent work was a
landscape based survey, which means that we had to
survey large area of over 15000sq.km. within 4 months
time. so, we could not go for direct counts, which
would require both repeated measures other than
replicate transects.

i am finding it difficult to deal with this kind of
presence/absence data, as it is difficult to say, the
occurence is neighbouring segments is because of
spatial-autocorrelation or because the species density
is truly high. from the data, i picked our pair of
segments (say, first and second), and counted how many
segments have similar value..and similarly with 2 and
3, and 1 and 3. I found almost similar values in all
these pairs. This created doubt that this could be
because of high density.

one solution perhaps is to estimate density of deer
based on direct counts, and find the relationship with
the binary data.

THANKS AGIAN FOR YOUR EFFORTS.

best

ramesh

 --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: > Interesting
question...

http://www.ruwpa.st-and.ac.uk/distance/distanceabout.html