Dear Dr. Rocchini:

Well, my first reaction  is that R squared is not an appropriate measure for
correlated data. Secondly, such a large area may well have an underlying trend
which should be removed before kriging is attempted and lastly the number of
observations seems very small if that is the only data layer available.

Sincerely

Russell Barbour Ph.D.
Research Associate in Applied Mathematics
Vector Ecology Laboratory
Yale School of Medicine
60 College St. Rm 600
New Haven CT. 06520