I know of  a paper where people split up the process in begin zero or
positive (binomial), and the value of the process given that it is
positive (Poisson). In fact you're working with a composite pdf, two spatial
processes that have to be merged later on. The idea is attractive,
but not very easy. If you want the title of the paper, email me.
--
Edzer

Brian R Gray wrote:

you could modify the suggested approach by using a generalization of the
Poisson, the neg binomial assumption you mention.  most stat software
allows negative binomial regression.  in this case, the variance component
of the Chi-squared resids may be better approximated (than under the
Poisson assumption).  as an aside, you may have a zillion zeroes with your
fisheries data.  such data may be handled moderately well by the neg bin
assumption you mention.  however, they may better be handled under the
assumption that some portion of the zeroes are structural (ie *can't*
generate a positive count) rather than stochastic.  I haven't seen spatial
corr assessed under these assumptions in the published lit.  regardless,
such "zero inflated" models are often considerably more complicated and may
not suit your purposes.  brian

-- * To post a message to the list, send it to [EMAIL PROTECTED] * As a general service to the users, please remember to post a summary of any useful responses to your questions. * To unsubscribe, send an email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with no subject and "unsubscribe ai-geostats" followed by "end" on the next line in the message body. DO NOT SEND Subscribe/Unsubscribe requests to the list * Support to the list is provided at http://www.ai-geostats.org