On 15-Apr-04 Mark Coleman wrote:
> ... In particular, I have been using a small test data set
> provided by Anselin on crime data in Columbus OH. Each sample point
> includes a lat-long coordinate. The data set can be found at
> http://www.spatial-econometrics.com/data/
>
> As an example, the first point in this data set shows latitude=35.62,
> longitude=42.38. Yet when I check the coordinates of  a random point in
> Columbus OH (not in the dataset), I find coordinates in the range of
> Lat=40.x, Long= -82.y.

Well, clearly either there's something seriously wrong with the data
(35.62 deg N 42.38 deg W is in the middle of the Atlantic,
 35.62 deg N 42.38 deg E is on the Iraq-Syria border)
or things are different from what one might first think they are.

According to the file
  http://www.spatial-econometrics.com/data/anselin.txt
we are only told that
  % column4 = latitude coordinate
  % column5 = longitude coordinate
but we are not told the units nor the origin. Have a look at the
numbers in
  http://www.spatial-econometrics.com/data/anselin.dat

  min(lat)  = 25.25, max(lat)  = 51.24
  min(long) = 24.95, max(long) = 44.07

Now, 1 degree of latitude is about 60 miles, so if these were
degrees then you're looking at a range of some 1,500 miles N-S;
similarly (though less) for E-W. Even Ohio ain't that big!

So I suspect that we're looking at minutes of arc rather than
degrees, relative to some fixed point. One minute of arc in
longitude is about 1 mile, so you're now looking at about
26 miles N-S.

At the latitude of Columbus (35.62N), 1 minute of arc is about
0.66 miles, so you're looking at about 11 miles E-W.

Also, it seems that the precision is 0.01 minutes of arc,
or about 18 yards (N-S) by 12 yards (E-W).

This all looks plausible ...

Hoping this helps (and wondering if I'm right ... pity people
don't document this sort of thing properly in their data files;
it would only have taken a line to do so.)

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 15-Apr-04                                       Time: 17:52:40